Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Entertaining Education

I've been catching up on reading blogs in my Google Reader and a few blogs have caught my eye; especially, after checking out Google Earth.

One of the features of Google Earth was that you could create your own virtual tour. If you don't want to do that, there are already websites out there that have done just that and would be great additions to a lesson plan.

Trans Siberian Railway, Russia
One that I found that was personally and particularly interesting to me was a virtual tour on the Trans Siberian Railway. I've been studying Russian for almost four years now and I'm going to study abroad in Russia this summer; unfortunately, I won't be traveling on this infamous railway. Nevertheless, I can still experience the train ride without leaving my apartment; even though watching it from my room is nothing compared to the real thing. This site can be used in history, geography, and literature classes when studying that part of the world. 

Another place students can explore from the classroom or at home is by the NOVA program's, Volcanoes Above the Clouds; students can watch climbers and scientists ascend Africa's Mount Kilimangaro. The website provides a lot of video, as well as teaching materials and guides for the classroom.

Besides these two websites, there's so much more out there that could make learning more fun for students, using technology. I'll definitely add on to this list and post links as I discover them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment