Sunday, January 31, 2010

Tech experience in the classroom

Breakdown: first placement for an MSU TE course, with around 20 first graders, but almost no sign of technology integration. All I saw was a radio. Nevertheless, I only spent two hours observing out a single day, of a week, of an entire school year. Understandably, I don't have any technology uses to report on thus far. In the mean time...

Last year for my TE 250 course, I decided to volunteer at the Refugee Development Center in Lansing. The kids and adults came for extra help with homework, reading, writing, etc. Also, one of the main reasons they would come was to be able to use the computers. Whether you need a computer to use the Internet to do research or to type a paper, it's vital to have a computer as a student these days. Most of these students just moved to the U.S. and can't afford to buy a computer as well as Internet access. First, they had to finish up any homework or work on a project that didn't require a computer and then they were awarded with computer privileges.

Teachers go on and assign projects, essays, etc., that require research to be done by the students. This generation of youngsters would probably never think to go to a library and manually look through hundreds of books that may have something to do with what they're researching and that's not a horrible thing. The reality is that all the information of the world is online. Most importantly, unlike books, whatever information you may find on the Internet can be updated with a snap of your fingers. Also, it's just more effective to search online. A student could spend hours, days, even weeks, searching for books and tracking them down. Then, it's time to read through the dozens of books only to find that two of them are helpful. One of my teachers had us do research for an essay by using, mostly, books and magazines as sources; she wanted us to experience and find value in the way research was done before the computer was invented.

How do you feel about this? Do you think children of today's world should even bother having to ever do research, solely, by using hard copies of books, magazines, etc.? Is that important in such when technology is constantly developing and getting better, faster, easier to use?


4 comments:

  1. The kids these days do really have the good life, eh? I remember that my library growing up was not one of the better ones in the area. When I had to do a research project on the Amazon River, the longest river in the world, I could only find ONE book that even mentioned the word "Amazon". It was a terrible blow for me. I knew that this topic was important, but I couldn't find information on it! Nowadays, even if the library isn't so well equipped, students can still access the information as long as the library has internet and computers. It will be interesting to be a teacher of young people who never knew a time when computers weren't such an integral part of society.
    Additionally, I appreciate that you included a brief description of your placement classroom. It's interesting to visualize the chaos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they still need to research via books, at least for a while longer. Like you said, not everyone has computers yet, so those students may be more likely to use a book. Even if they go to a library with computers, they would have to pay (probably) to print anything off and renting a book is free. Also, if all they know is how to research online, would they be confused if they had to find something in a book? I don't know; maybe I just want them to research in books because that's what I had to do growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like books are still so important. Technology isn't 100% reliable. I mean, computers and printers break, Internet connection is lost, etc. However, a hard copy of a book will always be there. But then again, looking through books takes so much time. We live in a fast-paced society and there's no time for that. But then again, the reality is that not everyone can afford to buy a computer, Internet connection, and printers.

    There's pros and cons to both sides; I guess, as teachers, we have to find a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember learning how to research and find books in our elementary school library, which was such a valuable skill. It still is!

    Students today have to learn how to sift through unreliable, even false information. There is SO MUCH on the Internet.

    I agree with Rebecca, I might be old-fashioned but there is something about sitting down with a book. I want my students to understand and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete