Friday, March 12, 2010

SoCal

For Spring Break this year I am in San Diego, CA, visiting my brother. It's my first time in California so I'm pretty psyched to be here.

My brother was catching up on his current events on yahoo.com and one of the top stories included "Teacher writes 'loser' on child's assignment". I couldn't believe it was true.

The teacher of the sixth grade classroom said he writes "loser" comments on students' homework because it a way that he can relate to them. One mother is completely disturbed by his method of teaching and believes her child is being bullied.

What's weird is that apparently many parents made it evident that they think his methods are effective when interviewed by reporters, but none of them went on camera to defend him.

That's all yahoo.com reported in their 1:10 online segment. I'll be sure to look more into this and see what happens, if anything at all.

Screen shot of video from yahoo.com

3 comments:

  1. I heard about this as well. I was shocked that a teacher would even think about writing loser on a students paper! As a future teacher I feel there has to be some other positive way to relate to your students. Why would you want to be negative in this way to your students? We get after other students when they call each other losers so why does this teacher think it is okay for him to do this? If this is the only way you can connect with your students and improve their learning then I would not consider you a good teacher at all. In fact I would think that you need to look elsewhere for a career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice coincidence!

    For spring break, I was visiting my SISTER in Los Angelos! When I got in, it was raining and remained cold for the week. How was San Diego? Does your brother go to school there? My sister's in grad school. The plane ride was not too bad, but still dragged on.
    I hope that you had a fantastic visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie- Agreed. There's tons of ways a teacher can try to connect and relate to his or her students. The fact that he thought the "loser" comments were the best way to go shows just how wrong he is for the job. I just can't believe that many parents actually LIKED his methods.

    Amanda- San Diego was great. It was my first time in California. My bro is a freshman at the University of San Diego; small campus and beautifully built to Spanish architecture. It was really windy everyday though-- MI had warmer weather that week :/ Bummer, but no big deal.(It was nice to smell flowers again :])
    I have the same to say about my plane ride. It was an overnight flight as well and I cannot sleep sitting straight up haha.
    Hope your trip was enjoyable too!

    ReplyDelete